HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 4

From:
Erik Vistica <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Vistica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:33:47 -0600
I read a great book some time ago titled "Flying Concorde" by one of the
pilots (found it in the public library). Fun reading. I believe that
they are restricted to subsonic over land in the USA (which is why it
rarely visits the west coast. Costs too much to operate that slow).

There were concerns about the frequent sonic boom disturbing wildlife on
land and ongoing concerns about it affecting sea life (I beg to differ).
I wonder how the boom from the plane differs from the boom from a
lightning strike (which, I hear from unconfirmed sources, hits the
planet somewhere about 44,000 times/day - I bet Wirt could give an
accurate number :-)