HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 4

From:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:53:44 -0700
In order to be able to load test data bases on to our test system (a
relatively slow HP939/020)
we are thinking of adding a DLT-8000 drive to it so it can take the tapes
from the other systems.

Anyone have any experience with using DLT-8000s on slow systems, without
TurboStore
or Orbit backup software, just using just plain ordinary STORE and RESTORE?

I am wondering if it will run extremely slowly because it can't keep
streaming.
Any stories both good or bad would be appreciated.

Most of the data is in large data bases, so perhaps it could run at full
speed on them
and only have problems when it hits lots of small files. What I need is a
DLT that can
run at variable speed to keep streaming, but I haven't heard of anyone
making or supporting them.
Am I going to have to copy the DLTs to regular DDS tapes, and then restore
from them?
(I could use the Orbit Xover to copy them.)

B5151AA Turbostore/iX (Not On Line) for the 939 (Tier 4) is $13,776.
This is pretty expensive for the modest use it would get..