HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 3

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:44:11 -0400
Greetings,
  I'm faced with needing to remove all entries in a manual master which have no
corresponding detail entries.  The vast majority of the records won't need
deletion.  In fact, on many, many runs, no records will be deleted.
  The "obvious" way to go at this is to DBGET the master serially, DBFIND the
detail (there's only one involved) and upon discovering that there are no
detail entries, DBDELETE the master record.
  It might be more efficient to DBGET the master and then DBDELETE, expecting
that most DBDELETEs will return 44.  Then again, it might not, depending on
whether a DBFIND or a "failed" DBDELETE is more expensive.  I'd be very
interested to know which of those is true and, of course, if there is a better
way.  I'm going to do some playing around with it, but any advice would be
welcome.

Thanks,
Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Sys, Southern Adventist University
Inspiration is needed in geometry, just as much as in poetry.