HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 3

From:
Dennis Heidner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Heidner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:57:21 -0600
His actions are un-ethical.  They clearly violate the license terms.
The   software vendors have the full power of the federal government
behind them.  All it takes is one ticked off employee to call ASP (the
sofware licensing policing organization) and report the in appropriate
action.  The result can be a whole bunch of federal marshalls knocking
on the door early one morning.  If they indeed find that there has been
a gross violation of theft, then often PC's and software are
confiscated.  The vendors then have the right to demand the the
offending company no longer use their software.  Hard to do business,
not to mention the fines, lawyers fees, etc.

Have they done raids like this?  Yep, all the time,  the one I remember
most (from early 90's) was a nation wide insurance chain that was
distributing paradox, or some office program (including .exe) to all the
branch offices with special macro's written to help write policies.  The
got caught, licenses revoked - and removed from all offices.

If he is the owner or president, not much you can do except try to keep
your fingers clean or leave the company.  (I'd be worried about him
trying to shift blame incase he gets caught).  If he is just a manager
in a larger company, check and see if you have an ethics office or
somebody up the chain that you can discretely talk to....

good luck.