HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 3

From:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:17:45 -0700
"Don't Panic!"  (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

It appears that the documentation is still at http://docs.hp.com/mpeix/

I looked for the COBOL and TRANSACT manuals, and they are still there in HTML format. When you look at them, they are for MPE iX 5.0.

I still think MY version of the TRANSACT manual in either PDF or HTML at www.mind-set.com is better because it merges 5.0 with 5.5 to make a complete manual, but that's just my opinion. The index in HTML is actually updated and you can click on references in the index to take you where you want to go.

Regards

PS: If there is enough demand for it, I can package up the HTML into a Winzip file you could download for the TRANSACT manual and then you could put it on your Apache Server or download it to your desk top.

>>> Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]> 07/18 11:23 AM >>>
There are very few changes in life that I would normally complain about, but
CSY, you've done me in!

I have come to love the 5.0 and 5.5 on-line manuals because they're written
in plain courier text, presented in HTML, and present themselves on my
browser as fast as they would if they were being read off of a CD in my local
PC. While I would like to have the 6.0 and 6.5 manuals presented in the same
way, I can live with just the older manuals. Things simply don't change that
much.

PDF and Dynaweb are simply no substitute for fast lookups.

Please, don't take these manuals away.

The question is now: who do I have to bribe to get these manuals back
on-line, and how much money do they want? (Actually, they're still there. You
just can't get to them any more from http://docs.hp.com/mpeix/ ).

Wirt Atmar