HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 3

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:01:42 -0700
On 7/14, OnOn Hong noted:

The previous day, in a chat on 3KWorld, there was the following dialogue
(edited to identify participants and for continuity):

Peggy Ruse (Marketing Initiatives Manager in the Internet and
Interoperability Area): By the way, HP WebWise does not equal the MPE/iX
secure web server...HP WebWise will eventually be populated with other
offerings.

Chris Bartram (3K Associates): Peggy, if you're accepting wish list items;
ODBC (client) for e3000 (so web servers can pull data from local OR remote
servers), and MS FrontPage extension support on the e3000.

OnOn Hong (I&I team, R&D lab. Working with Peggy, I am responsible for the
HP e3000 Internet strategy and roadmap.): Sounds good

Peggy: I always want wish lists and hope to turn them into real life
offerings.

Barbara Dubbert (CSY engineer supporting Apache web server): Chris, can you
give us an idea of your priority for MS FrontPage

Chris: Peggy, right now it's only a "nice to have". For us it's too late
(already have multiple Linux boxes running web servers BECAUSE they did
support FrontPage). Still, so many folks are using it and it really makes
managing a complex website a snap - even for beginners

Note what Chris said: "For us it's too late..."

In the case of FrontPage Extensions, I've had similar conversations with CSY
for the past two years. For many people, a window of opportunity has been
missed. Are we going to be saying the same thing about e-speak in a year or
two? Another missed opportunity for CSY and the HP e3000?

In this era of IT moving at "Internet speed", there is no time for CSY's
development model. If CSY continues to wait until the customer demand
reaches some critical mass before embarking on new technologies, it will
continue to be too late to the party.

I know CSY can not do everything, but a little proactive leadership is
needed here. Identify a handful of technologies that MIGHT take off and make
sure the HP e3000 is ready when they do. Sure, there will be a few clunkers
and CSY may miss out on a few technologies; but isn't that better than
missing the early adopters on EVERY technology?

John Burke