HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 3

From:
Ken Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:26:03 -0600
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:43:51 -0700 Tim Joseph <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Looks like an IMAGE problem.  Stumps like an IMAGE problem.  NOT!
>
>This is a DBGeneral problem patched in the pending release.  This is not a
>problem with IMAGE.  The problem only happens in databases with ONE b-tree,
>add a second b-tree and the problem is not manifest.  The DBCONTROL fails
>during DBGeneral processing because the root file version is inadvertently
>set indicating there are not any b-trees in the database.  When there are
>two or more b-trees, this inadvertent processing is not executed.  The
>other obvious work around is to remove the b-tree and then add it
>back.  Please contact Bradmark's Technical Support at 800-621-2808 or
>[log in to unmask] for current support information.

I hate to disagree with Tim, but our/Adager's testing seems to indicate that
it IS an IMAGE bug.

According to the IMAGE documentation, you should be able to DBOPEN a
database exclusively and then call DBCONTROL mode 13 to add an index as long
as you have priv mode.  If the database has NO indexes (i.e. it has a
rootfile version of C2), you get the error message that Jeff Kell reported:

>    TURBOIMAGE ERROR AT $000f5bc; RETURN STATUS = -451
>    DBCONTROL, MODE 13, ON #1 OF DBCTDB
>    BTE: Root version less than "C"4.

The problem is that IMAGE shouldn't be CHECKING the rootfile version before
adding the index, it should add the index and then SET the rootfile version
to C4 if it needs to.

If an IMAGE database has ONE index and you call DBCONTROL to delete the
index, IMAGE is correctly removing the index and changing the rootfile
version back to C2.

This "problem" still exists in the latest version of IMAGE that we are testing.

Am I wrong here?

|            r  |  Ken                             [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  Ken Paul                      Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Customer Support              Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.