HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 3

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:19:53 -0600
At  10:30 AM 7/19/00, Boris Kortiak wrote:
>Is there a tool or utility that will allow me to select a particular
>dataset from a specific Image database and have a flat file created in
>some transportable format?  Big wish is to have the first record contain
>the element names enclosed in quotes and separated by tabs and then have
>each row output so that alphanumeric data is enclosed in quotes and
>numeric data is formatted with a leading sign and decimal point and each
>is separated by a tab from the next.

I'd suggest having a look at the save command in Query.  Something like:

:query
 >base=dbname
 >find all dataset.field
 >save filename
 >exit

Query's save command writes a "SD" (Self-Describing) file which has all the
field information in user label(s) in the file.  IIRC, the program
SDTODIF.PUB.SYS converts an SD file to a DIF file... which is much like
what you described except I think it is comma delimited instead of tab
delimited.  Unfortunately, I don't recall how to run SDTODIF, but perhaps
you can find that in the MPE docs online or someone might pipe up and fill
in this detail.

Good luck.  :)

--
Jeff Woods