HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 2

From:
"Graham, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham, Robert
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:24:28 -0600
Bryan Greenbert offered...

</soapbox on>

The contributors to this list have proven themselves to be among the
most intelligent, literate, and knowledgeable group of people I have
ever come across on the internet.  There exists a wide variety of
opinions on every conceivable subject and we are never at a loss for
interesting discussions.  This free speech carries a price however.
That price is tolerance.  The internet has virtually eliminated
geographic, political, and social boundaries in today's society.  It is
important to remember this when responding to (or writing) potentially
inflammatory posts.  This shouldn't stifle spirited discussion.  Just
remember the other list members may have wildly differing opinions on
everything you say and do.

</soapbox off>

Bryan Greenberg

I also might offer that there are nations on this planet reached by this list where even the fact we are having this discussion is a state crime punishable by death.  Unfortunately, censorship seems to be one of those topics that generates the most vitriolic responses.  We in the United States are privileged to be able to express ourselves freely, but not every nation enjoys that particular freedom.

OMO

Bob Graham