HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 2

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:38:30 -0700
Wyell Grunwald writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: Wyell Grunwald [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 6:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: DBINFO mode 202

Greetings to all:

We have SEVERAL programs that call DBINFO mode 202 to get information on =
the current database capacity and the number of present entries.  These =
two numbers are subtracted to find out how much room is available for new =
entries (we don't want to run out of entries during an update).

The problem is that I would like to turn on dynamic expansion and reduce =
the size of our datasets, reduce disk space, reduce backup time, etc.  =
When I do turn on the dynamic expansion, DBINFO mode 202 shows the reduced =
capacity, not the maximum capacity.  Is there a way to modify the actual =
DBINFO intrinsic so that I can return the mode 205 information on a mode =
202 call (in order to get the maximum capacity).  I would like to not have =
to change hundreds of programs to a mode 205 call.
I suppose you could write a procedure called DBINFO that you put into an XL
that is before XL.PUB.SYS.  It would receive your input parameters, make a
call to the real DBINFO mode 205 and put the max capacity in your limit
field.  Of course you'd have to change your XL link list on your :LINK or
:RUN statements.

You should reallly ask yourself how you got in this fix in the first place
by not coding a common routine to do the DBINFO call.  Use a copylib,
$include file, RL routine, or whatever and encapsulate the call to one focal
point.  Then you only have to change the one source code point and then just
recompile or relink as needed instead of changing hundreds of individual
programs.  Do you have other routines that you have coded over and over and
could change over time?

Mike Berkowitz
Guess? Inc.