HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 2

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:25:11 -0700
Sorry I didn't expound re PAUSE via COBOL.  As DBurney points out, COBOL
doesn't speak HP Real, PAUSE does.  I'm having trouble locating docs for the
cheater used here, HPEXTIN, but the parms in the example cause it to return
an HP Real equivalent to the integer value passed.  Anybody know where to
read the gory details of HPEXTIN?

Tracy

 IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
 PROGRAM-ID. PAUSE.
 REMARKS. just demo's COBOL usage of the PAUSE intrinsic.
*  which requires a REAL parm, not COBOL-supported.  Cheat via HPEXTIN.
 ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
 CONFIGURATION SECTION.
 DATA DIVISION.
 FILE SECTION.
 WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
 01  CHAR-STRING PIC 9999.
 01  STRING-LEN  PIC S9(4) COMP.
 01  REAL-SECS   PIC S9(9) COMP.
 01  ERRCODE     PIC S9(4) COMP.
 01  INT-SECS    PIC S9(4) COMP VALUE 1.
 PROCEDURE DIVISION.
 OUTER-BLOCK SECTION.
   PERFORM UNTIL INT-SECS = 0
     DISPLAY "Enter PAUSE time in secs, 0=quit; format is 9999:"
         NO ADVANCING
     ACCEPT CHAR-STRING
     INSPECT CHAR-STRING REPLACING ALL SPACE BY "0"
     CALL INTRINSIC ".LEN." USING CHAR-STRING GIVING STRING-LEN
     CALL INTRINSIC "HPEXTIN" USING CHAR-STRING STRING-LEN
                         0 1 0 0 REAL-SECS ERRCODE
     IF  ERRCODE <> 0
         DISPLAY "HPEXTIN ERROR= " ERRCODE
     ELSE