HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 2

Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:29:23 -0600
Hello all,
Sorry to hear you had trouble accessing the 3kworld chat rooms. It does
sound like firewall issues. If you have access to your network
administrator, you might ask him/her to open up post 6667 for the day of
the chat, this will allow you to access most chat rooms.

We are aware of this problem, and Macintosh-related problems, and are
working to find some workarounds that make 3kworld accessible to everyone,
all the time.

Until then, you can read the chat transcripts as we post them. Sorry for
any inconvenience this might cause.

----------

I had that problem... but as luck has it I'm the paranoid running the
firewall and opened that port for a few minutes.

The other issue that I had is that my main machine is a Mac and the
Microsoft Java Chat applet doesn't work with there browser on the Mac. It
works slightly better with Netscape, but it's not usable.

Even on an NT Box with ie5 it had problems.... I had to handle some issues
during the chat and when I scrolled back in the history it had fits.
Mainly
when a new message was posted.

Overall I think the dumb HTML app worked better.

I had to leave before it was over and one question was asked about web log
analyzer.... I use a freeware program called webalyzer that works great.
Makes all kinds of pretty graphs and nice summary data.

-Lane

Posted from www.3kworld.com