HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 2

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:10:49 -0700
Hi Wirt & Wayne and Others :)

    A little about the Guard and it's missions...Warning... very off topic
and probably boring :)

   The National Guard is, in some states, the only legally recognised (sp)
militia.  Oregon is that way... The Oregon Army National Guard is the Oregon
Militia.  There is also the Oregon State Self-Defense Force which supports
and mans our installations when we are deployed on either peace time or
combat missions at either the State or Federal level.  Note also, that the
National Guard and Reserve components of the active branches make up about
52% of the United States Military forces!

   The National Guard and indeed the entire US Military is subject to
civilian authority... ie the government and each
soldier/airman/sailor/Marine is also bound by the UCMJ to only carry out
those orders that are both lawful and legal... (I can't remember the
difference between those two terms right now... but there is one in the
definitions as per the UCMJ)

   Note that the Guard is trained and armed... and that we are restricted by
Army Regulations (AR's) from allowing personnel who have not been properly
trained (ie been thru a Basic Training Course) to handle weapons at all!

  As for a standing Army?  hmmm.... Remember Congress mandates this... and
how many soldiers will be in the Army... Does the term "Drawdown" ring any
bells for anyone?   And actually the current administration and Congress are
quietly kicking around the idea of reactivating the draft if voluntary
enlistments don't increase soon...

  The National Guard is no longer training for if we get deployed
overseas... we train for *when* we deploy overseas...

Art "Taking off the BDU's now hehe" Bahrs