HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 2

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:19:22 -0500
Vivek is new to the HP 3000 and this listserv.  After my reply to his original
message he called me and I helped him configure his IBM disk drives on his
3000.  To recap, the disk drives are 18 GB IBM disk drives with 50 Pin
connectors, which makes them SE Ultra SCSI.  The enclosure is indeed a Kingston
DS 100, also 50 Pin.

Vivek had placed the disk drives in the enclosure and connected the enclosure
to the HP 3000.  The disk drives were seen by MAPPER.  I helped Vivek configure
the drives in SYSGEN and then reboot the system.  The drives were available at
that point.

The first area I would look into is the SCSI cabling.  SE (Single Ended) SCSI
has a very small length restriction.  We are talking about 6 meters, including
internal equipment runs for the whole chain.  I would definitely look at the
cable going from the HP 3000 to the new enclosure.  Get the best, shortest
cable you can find.  This will most likely fix the problem.  If you have more
questions, please include more information, such as SCSI IDs, devices currently
on the SCSI chain, length and type of cables, etc.

As for the other DDS-2 problems, well on a separate thread the stuff inflicted
by the US on the UK and vice versa is being discussed.  Let us not forget to
add the technology the UK has inflicted of the rest of the world,  DDS.  That
alone should excuse centuries of "Buffy the Vampire Layer."

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com