HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 2

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:04:43 -0600
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:44:53 -0500 (Central Daylight Time), Ted Ashton
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've removed the identification on this, but wanted to share it with those
>who've wondered about Perl.
>
>----- Forwarded message (Subject: I think I'm in Love) -----
>
>> With perl, that is.

[Remainder snipped]

Perl is wonderful, definitely.  I have been "getting into it" over on
the HP-UX side .. I haven't done any MPE/ix Perling. It's a good
replacement for C, Korn shell, and just about anything else you find
yourself using for "one-off" activities. It's also very good for CGI
programming. It's not a direct replacement for Java since it can't do
client-side processing like Java can, but on the server side it has
can do basically everything Java can do.

To those active in Perl, or the curious, I recommend a particular
website www.perlmonks.org, as a wonderful user community from which to
learn and grow. Some Very Famous Perl People contribute there
regularly. It would be like having an Image website where Fred White
and Alfredo Rego are online most of the time ready to help with your
questions. (My user name there is "husker" in case you want to read
any of my newbie-style questions or newbie-style answers to other
newbie-style questions).