SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 06:31:24 +1000
On Friday, July 07, 2000 12:12 AM, Quinn H wrote:
Subject: Re: [SCUBA-SE] Oztek 2000!

> Carl wrote:
> >Initially
> >they were told that their expenses/etc would be covered.  Then, the
> >FIRST "uninvite" came when they were told that there was insufficient
> >funding.  They said, "Ok, we'll pay our OWN way".  Then the hammer fell,
> >"Sorry, we don't want you guys", which really was an edict that came
> >down from Bret (I like my deep air) Gilliam.

> Carl gave a pretty accurate synopsis. I've been following the discussions
> on the GUE list server. I suspect TDI (Bret Gilliam, Pres.) got wind of
what
> Jarrod was going to present, which did not bode well for other technical
> agencies and communities. That, and a mention of an accident analysis of
> three fatalities, which TDI divers were reportedly involved in.

ROFLMAO!  You're entitled to an opinion - but don't voice a half-assed one
without knowing all of the facts.

The TDI guy is just the convenor and the bunny who's underwritten out of his
own pocket the shortfall if the conference doesn't break even.  In terms of
sponsorships for the event, IANTD are also heavily involved as are a number
of equipment manufacturers and other organisations.  (Other than the GUE,
the only Tek agency without a financial stake in the conference is ANDI -
the one that I'm involved with!)

Also, as speakers, are a number of prominent authorities in their fields
other than just JJ - some of them are actually Australians!

Now go back to your learn-to-dive manuals and don't involve yourself in
something that you only know about through the regurgitated opinions of
others.

And now I'm rushing out the door to catch a plane.

Strike