SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
"Quinn H." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:48:59 -0400
Strike wrote:

>The Dolphin's probably ideal for U/W photographers - particularly for those
>who aren't into distance swimming.  (Personally, I like the idea of a
>chest-mounted counterlung for ease of breathing when in face-down swimming
>mode. But that's just me!) :-)

That is exactly my intended purpose. :-)  However I can't see a
chest-mounted counter lung while holding video or still camera equipment.
That's the reason I got rid of my vest BC (USD Cousteau). The damn pockets
kept getting in the way. It is also one of the reasons I am beginning to
embrace the Hogarthian configuration.

>There are, (once again, to my way of thinking) three major downsides to a
>rebreather - especially if you're looking at Closed Circuit.  The first is
>pre-dive preparation and post-dive maintenance.  (On a positive note, they
>do breed greater discipline in terms of looking after the equipment.) :-)

You're absolutely correct of course.  Cost is another.  CC rebreathers
still scare me - all the elctronic dependancies in seawater?  I like the CIS
Lunar MK5 ($18,000 US) - but shoot, I can buy another Harley for that.  The
Halcyon has an appealing SC unit, not too expensive and adaptable to various
appplications.  The Draeger is the least expensive unit (in my limited view)
that still keeps me in a saftey comfort zone. My intended use, if I bought
one, would be strictly for OW <130 fsw.

>Also you've got to consider the add-on costs, especially with Semi-closed
>units.  Will you have to buy O2 sensors?  Is the absorbent canister
>re-fillable?  Or are you obliged to buy disposable, factory-filled
>canisters?

Again, you're right on. These are the issues I plan to discuss with my
instructor. After certifying on his Dolphins I'll begin making my
final decision as too which SC model I get. That's probably still a
year away.

>Personally, I favour the "pillage and loot" approach to marine archaeology!
>(I don't really, but it's a wonderful conversation opener when meeting
>scientists!)  :-)

ROFL.  Strike! And I thought you were a staunch, right-wing, all-or-nothing,
conservative?!  ;-)

Seriously, I don't intend to get that esoteric. I'll leave that to the
experts. My interest is purely in recording the process, photographically.
A little known aspect of scientific diving (research, archaeological, etc)
in this country is the tax break.  You see, any non-profit project in US
waters can be deducted from our income tax obligation. CEDAM, Earthwatch,
REEF, most university research, etc., if volunteered for, and at personal
expense, is tax deductable. One could recoup as much as 75% of their diving
expenses this way.  And if performed as a gratuitous self owned business
expense, it could be 100% deductable!

Quinn