SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
Jane Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:18:37 -0400
Sorry, I'm just catching up on messages from the past couple of weeks...

Andy Johnson wrote:
> What ???? You must be on drugs Kat, & cheap ones at that :-)
> Lemme see,
> shore dive, cost (apart from getting there) is nothing. RIB
> dives cost me
> UK£5 a dip, air fill to 232bar is UK£1.50 & UK£0.50 for me
> donkey.....significantly less than last week in Sharm !!!

In theory, I agree and have had many similar trips, but one memorable trip
supports Kat's hypothesis.

It was a bank holiday weekend, and our club decided to have a nice trip to
Falmouth with 3 days on a hardboat. I can't remember the exact costs, but
obviously there was the cost of the boat and the B&B and food - all were
more up-market than the usual club trip. We didn't have a car at the time,
and as we'd left it late for a holiday weekend, we ended up with a much
higher level rental car than we wanted. Then, things really began to get
expensive. As we were driving down the M4, a deer jumped over a fence and
landed on the front bumper - 300pounds excess charge on the insurance.
Finally (and 3 weeks after we thought we'd seen the end of the expenses for
that trip) my husband received a speeding ticket from one of the lovely
cameras in Devon! We could definitely both have had a week in the Red Sea
for the same money:-)

Bye the way, did I mention that the sea was so rough we only managed to get
out of the harbour on the last day?

Jane