SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:00:36 +1000
On  Thursday, July 06, 2000 2:48 PM, Quinn wrote:

> >Hi, Quinn!  You've mentioned an interest in marine archaeology as well as
> >wreck penetration dives.  Apart from equipment configurations what sort
of
> >training are you proposing to do to satisfy both ambitions?

> I'm taking it slow and currently planning IANTD training for Nitrox,
> technical, and wreck penetration. There is a local instructor that I am in
> discussions with to set up a "curriculum".  He's also a rebreather
> instructor for Draeger Dolphin, if I choose that SC system. Do you (or
Carl,
> or Mika, or anyone else) have a suggested preferrence?

To my way of thinking the choice of a rebreather tends to depend on the use
to which it's put - in other words they're largely 'mission specific' tools.
The Dolphin's probably ideal for U/W photographers - particularly for those
who aren't into distance swimming.  (Personally, I like the idea of a
chest-mounted counterlung for ease of breathing when in face-down swimming
mode. But that's just me!) :-)

There are, (once again, to my way of thinking) three major downsides to a
rebreather - especially if you're looking at Closed Circuit.  The first is
pre-dive preparation and post-dive maintenance.  (On a positive note, they
do breed greater discipline in terms of looking after the equipment.) :-)

Also you've got to consider the add-on costs, especially with Semi-closed
units.  Will you have to buy O2 sensors?  Is the absorbent canister
re-fillable?  Or are you obliged to buy disposable, factory-filled
canisters?

The second is not just the need for training, but for training to a point
where the drills become second nature.  This is an aspect of training that -
because of cost factors in extending course durations - is often overlooked
and left to the individual to 'practice' for themselves after
certification - NOT 'qualification'!  Although they're essentially simple
machines, they're not toys!

The third is finding people to dive with!  :-)

In terms of preference - I don't have one!  It depends very much on what
sort of diving applications you have in mind - and what your price range is!
:-)

> Marine archaeology is really an acute interest in the Atlantis "myth". I
> happened to believe in it. When my job relocates to Orlando in the very
near
> future [exactly when is still unknown :-( ] I plan to take some university
> courses in scientific diving and marine archaeology. Two or three colleges
> in Florida offer such coursework.  There is also an apparent local need in
> the Chesapeake Bay area of the state of Maryland, where I currently
reside.
> I may assist in some of that, to learn some of the basics.

The reason that I asked the question - particularly with regard to marine
archaeology - is that as well as being (or it should be!) meticulous and
painstaking work it often requires the use of tools and equipment, like
heavy duty lift-bags, air-lifts and surface-demand diving equipment.  Skills
that are usually only taught in any detail through commercial diving
schools.

Personally, I favour the "pillage and loot" approach to marine archaeology!
(I don't really, but it's a wonderful conversation opener when meeting
scientists!)  :-)

Strike