SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:04:16 -0400
If divers can simulate a dive in a DRY chamber, so can I make a DRY dive
in an Aquarium!

So, during the lull of house hunting, I paid my first visit to the
Chattanooga Aquarium and purchased an Annual Pass which cost only slightly
more than the cost of TWO admissions (that shows how much the Aquarium
prey on the occasional VISITORS. :-)  $11.95 for a single admission and
$30 for an annual pass of UNLIMITED visits.

The Aquarium is rather meager in its OCEAN critters, but very impressive
in its collection of fish of RIVERS, including the Russian Volga, the
St. Lawrence, the Amazon, the local Tennessee River, and a few I forgot.
I believe the LARGEST fish in the entire Aquarium is one lungfish-look-
alike four-footer (not with four-feet!) from the Amazon.

The most impressive collection (to ME) was two TINY Hammerheads which
were dwarfed by the half-a-dozen or so Lookdowns, each of which was
at least TWICE the size of the hammerhead.  :-)  I don't recall
having seen any hammerheads in the better-known aquariums such as the
those in Boston, Chicago, San Diego, or Dallas.

Since Jeff Kell (our Scuba-SE Owner) used to serve as volunteer fish
feeder for the Aquarium, I volunteered my services to dive with and
feed the Amazon piranhas, but unfortunately the tank wasn't big enough
for both me and them, so the piranhas are spared and I have to come
back here to kick silt instead.

But for my bravery and good looks, the Aquarium Human Resources Manager
put me on the waiting list to be a fish feeder for Year 2002.  :-)

-- Bob.