SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:10:09 -0400
Reef Fish wrote:

> > I hadn't seen that page before.  When I saw the "Port Jackson Shark"
pic,
> > I IMMEDIATELY recognized that I saw dozens of those in Tahiti and I had
> > been calling those suckers ramoras!  snip They have these flat
waffle-grill
> > shaped pads on their back -- looked perfected suitable for sucking onto
> > any REAL SIZED sharks.   So, here are the obvious questions:  Is "Port
> > Jackson shark" a local nickname for that fish?  Is that a ramora?
> > Enquiring mind wanna know.

Most interesting.  As happens, I got Strike's response to your post before I
got your post, so I may be missing something critical to understanding.
After reading your comments (included above), I downloaded and enlarged the
picture of the Port Jackson Shark.  Since I was relatively certain you knew
what a Remora looks like and since your description, ie, the waffle-frill
shaped pad (more on their head than on their back), is a pretty good
description of a remora, I'm confused.  The Port Jackson Shark I looked at
in the picture didn't look anything like a remora and lacked the suction pad
you described.

Are we seeing different pictures?  Do one of us need to get our perscription
updated?  Am I missing a joke somewhere?

Lee