SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:27:33 -0400
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:28:01 +1000, David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Thursday, July 27, 2000 1:10 PM, Jeff Kell wrote:
>
>> > There are a small selection of pics from last Saturdays dive at
>> > Shelly Beach (all the underwater ones courtesy of Poe Lim - thanks!
>> > :-) at
>
>> > http://www.geocities.com/huwporter/shelleydive.html
>
>> Hmm, in the pic titled "Mark and Cuttlefish", is that a box jelly or sea
>> wasp to the left of Mark's head in the background?
>
>It looks like the tip of a snorkel - which he seems to be wearing on the
>wrong right side!! :-)

No wonder Jeff had been stripped of his fishfeeding job at the Choo Choo
Aquarium!  :-)

This is da Feeesh at a few miles from the Chattanooga Aquarium, checking
in from [log in to unmask]  Been here fer a few days ... Scuba-SE has
been so quiet without me stirring some silt!  ;-)

I hadn't seen that page before.  When I saw the "Port Jackson Shark" pic,
I IMMEDIATELY recognized that I saw dozens of those in Tahiti and I had
been calling those suckers ramoras!  They have these flat waffle-grill
shaped pads on their back -- looked perfected suitable for sucking onto
any REAL SIZED sharks.   So, here are the obvious questions:  Is "Port
Jackson shark" a local nickname for that fish?  Is that a ramora?
Enquiring mind wanna know.

>> Jeff "secretly fears such beasties, give me sharks anyday" Kell

Been beeezy looking at lots of shacks around the Choo Choo area that I
hadn't even thought about Jeff being around!  :-)  Need to go to w*rk
again ... more looky.  :-))

-- Bob.