SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:37:13 -0400
Reef Fish wrote:

> According to that schedule, my replaced set should be approaching
> the time for ANOTHER FREE, NEW replacement soon.  :-)  Why should
> anyone pay 3 times the cost to get a titanium set?

I considered the Atomic when I purchased my present Scuba Pro regulators
and, like you, concluded that it was too expensive for the marginal
advantage it offered, primarily, in my opinion, snob appeal.  I'm not immune
to snob appeal, but my interest was more than offset by the difference in
service availability.  I've never been anywhere that could service any
regulator that could not service a Scuba Pro.  When I bought mine, I'm
pretty sure there were places where only limited, if any service options
exist for the Atomic.  I suspect that this is still the case.

On the other hand, I don't think the price was three times the cost of my
Scuba Pro regulators (Mk 20/G250/R380.  I recall something closer to twice.
The Scuba Pro regulator's cost gave me a bit of a pause too.

Speaking of Scuba Pro, if you get a chance to breathe a R380, give it a try.
It's a remarkably good breathing regulator even if it does have fewer user
adjustments.

Lee