SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
"Quinn H." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:45:20 -0400
Lee Bell wrote:

>Damn, just when I think I've decided I don't want a vented fin, you have to
>go and post something like this.  Before I get my hope up, I want to be
sure
>I understand.  You are saying that the Twin Jet Fins are similar in use to
>Quattros for slower poking around the reef and faster and more powerful
when
>bucking a mild current.  How did they do in a stronger current?

Hi Lee,

Yes, but a qualified yes - i.e. this is my experience, based on my physical
condition, body size, profile, etc., and in multiple trips to Cozumel and
Cancun.  The Quattros are a great fin too, but I like the effortless upkick
on the Twin Jets (due to the vents). The whole fin feels different on the
foot, as Strike posted earlier. Also, to clarify, I consider mild currents
in Cozumel and Yucatan Caribbean to be, say 2-3 1/2 knots. And I consider
anything over 4 knots to be strong to severe/dangerous currents.  Since I
have not dived in currents over 4 knots with the Twin Jets, I can't speak to
a stronger current. but I would be very surprised if the fin performed any
differently.

>I'm going to hate the answer to this, but what's the going price for
>Graphite Twin Jets?  I can get the Quattros for just under $100 U.S.

I paid $189 US in January of this year.  I think the non-graphite version of
the Twin Jets, both the Scuba pro and US Divers versions, are about $20-30
less. Expensive? Yes, but worth it, IMHO. They may be slightly less in price
now, you know ... supply and demand, blah, blah, blah .....

> .... What I'm looking for is the ease of use, reasonable
>length and light weight of my present fins and at least as much power and
>speed when I need it.  Quick acceleration is as critical as eventual speed.

These are certainly the easiest to use fins of the three I mentioned
earlier, and of 4 other brandes I've tried in the past several years.
They're easy on the baggage weight, and partly because of the lighter
weight, I believe they help increase kicking stamina. Of course the design
itself is primarily responsible for this.

I don't think I have to say that quick acceleration is more of a physical
strength issue than fin performance, but I would think that sustained power
kicking would greatly benefit by the use of Graphite Twin Jets.

The usual disclaimer: I have no vested interest, financial or otherwise, in
recommending any particular product.

Sorry Lee, but I say, "pay the bucks and get 'em".

Quinn