SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:26:16 -0500
SNIP>
go with this other shop but after Saturday's dive I don't think so. The girl
that came out scared should have told if it doesn't feel right "DON'T DO
IT". I would like to stay with the same instructor but he does mostly open
water. So now we are shopping around. I am off my soap box for now
gentlemen.
Cheers
Sherry

FWIW, I spent the weekend assisting with the pool portion of an OW class and
next weekend we will do the OW portion.  There was a teenaged girl in the
class that was having problems with taking off her mask and putting it back
on.  Her hair (beautiful long red hair) was getting in the way.  Since I was
working with her, the instructor just worked with everyone else on something
else.  She was getting frustated and angry but she didn't give up and she
listened to the things I said and we eventually got her problem solved
(about 15 minutes.)  A lot of instructors would not have allowed her that
time but she will be a better diver for it and Sunday, she showed up with
her hair in a pony tail.  She also had a couple of 'its time to go to the
surface' attacks on skills where the regulator was out of her mouth but that
is not uncommon and is just a matter of time and comfort.  I think there
were two skills maybe three that I had her do over.  I have heard of
instructors that will wash someone out for less or not spend the time to get
it right and produce a half-assed diver.  The reason I work with the
instructors I do is because they will take the time.  Whether it is a
Divemaster's time or their own time, they take the time to be sure they are
producing good divers and not just people with a c-card.

CH