SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

From:
Brian Gelfand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:16:00 -0700
Hi Poe,

--- Poe Lim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> If I may ask, why do you want to become a DM? If you
> would like to help
> others, there is no need for a DM certification.

Just thought I would add my two cents as to why I
became a DM.

I did my PADI DM certification in 1996 while on a
leave of absence from work, and then spent a couple of
months divemastering in Dahab, Egypt.  I now continue
to DM with a local dive club, assisting on some
courses, and supervising divers on excursions.  I have
also organized some local trips, chartering the boat,
recruiting divers, running the dive, etc...

I am not a full-time dive professional, and I did not
do my DM cert with that goal in mind.  I did it
because I had reached a point where I wanted to
further my dive training and learn more about the
theory and practice of scuba diving.  It also allowed
me to dive full time for 2 months - 3 dives a day, 6
days a week.  That type of intense repetitive diving
allowed me develop the type of relaxed, confident dive
skills and equipment skills that allow me to focus on
other things - like supervising my charges, helping an
instructor with an open water session, or my newest
hobby, photography.  I also was confronted with many
types of divers and dive situations, experience that
has paid off in my recreational diving, as well as my
current divemastering.

>I guess I have
> also seen too many DM that have gone through an
> accelerated programme
> (perhaps this may be due to going to some popular
> dive regions) to be
> impressed by the title.

As with many other courses, that really depends on the
instructor and the dive centre.  I had the great good
fortune to train with a very conscientious Instructor,
with a real passion for diving, and a strong
commitment to dive training.  There was nothing
rushed, or accelerated about it - and the program
included an "internship".

The bottom line is that I did my DM because I love
diving and I wanted to learn as much about it as
possible.  It also gives me the opportunity to help
new divers into the sport by being an "ambassador" for
diving, and to help teach good diving skills to
novices, both directly and by example.

Of course, it is not necessary to do a divemaster cert
to learn more, or to help other divers.  It was the
path that made the most sense for me at the time, and
it has allowed me to be a "part-time" dive
professional, a role that I enjoy.

Cheers,
Brian

=====