SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2000

Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 18:40:24 +1200
Well Gang, our certification dive was cancelled again but understandable. We were invited on a Scallop dive as well, so we went on that. We were late with getting the kids ready, stopping at the store for BBQ stuff. Also phoning ahead to see if the dive was still on. The swells were at least 3 meters high. Most were already in, Tim and I looked at each other and the Bay and said no way. Tides were strong and the swells high and the current was very strong. I am not up to that and Tim knew it. When we got there we saw another fellow there and he said the waves just kept knocking him down and beached him so he said forget it as well. There was no surface support there so we acted as such, just in case anyone needed help back out. Most were Naked (exhausted) when they returned.
We were keeping an eye on a couple of divers that were separated from the group. They seemed to be struggling for quite some time. We just couldn't help them just keep an eye until the other divers came back. The area that they were at had a lot of Rocks etc. So when the divers got back we told them about this couple that was out there. They went and pulled them to shore and as they did we seen another couple that surface without the group and the dive masters went after them as well. We were there to help with the gear. The couple that we kept watching out for was new we found out later and I feel they had no business out there in those conditions. There was a life guard, and 3 dive masters there and no one seemed to be watching out for the newbies.
Even though Tim and I are new to the sport it does not stop us watching out for and staying with those that have less experience than we do. I kept signaling to those first 2 if they were ok and they never signaled anything back. So after they were out I told them that I was signaling them and the man couldn't remember the stress sign. I showed him, he said by the way we couldn't have helped him anyway. I said even though we couldn't have helped we would not have left them on there own without getting help.
This whole experience makes me appreciate what I need to do to get better. I have to practice snorkeling and swimming to build up my endurance and go through to dive master training. I hated feeling so helpless, but Tim and I couldn't risk our lives to help them. We weren't sure if we could swim in that to get to them at least they had a BC and air we didn't have that on us. We just waited and sent help.
The girl was newly certified, her first dive out. I told her not to let that experience stop her from diving, she was thoroughly shaken by it. I told her to call me and we would go to that frigid lake to practice together. I told her its cold but controlled there and she would learn a whole lot.
I hope I said the right things, I just didn't want to sound like a know it all. Not much else except it's a lake dive tomorrow:).
Cheers
Sherry and Tim