HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:16:11 -0700
Bill Cadier wrote:

> I think the problem is the file equation which lacks ",old".
> For example:
>
> FILE X=<whatever>,OLD;SEMI;GMULTI

oh...my bad.  i forgot to include it on my original post.

> I should also add that what Paul Christidis said is correct. The
> >*X will begin writing to the file providing data that satisfies the
> read preventing the timeouts. I altered your script to loop 10 times
> echoing the _S_REC and HPCIERR vars. I see -9003 twice.

yes, this is the problem i was running into.

thanks to my 'secret weapon' (aka, roger fong :-) we found a way to get
around the problem that '>*x' creates.  ...and it's so simple....

 continue
 input _s_rec;wait=60 <*x

well duh :-)  now, the behavior is as expected.  if the input times out
nothing goes to the message file.  prior to this, i set 'hperrstolist'
to false, as jeff vance suggested.  that helped considerably -- that
resulted in just one blank line going to the message file.  i still have
hperrstolist set but i doubt it's making much difference now.  fwiw, i'm
planning on using this script *online*.  the last time this thread
popped up, there was some discussion about the wait clause being ignored
in batch.  i suspect it still is but i haven't tested it.  perhaps jeff
might know....

thanks to all! :-)              - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer