HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:54:26 -0700
Obviously, NS/VT is bundled with the FOS since the days that the basic ethernet was integrated with FOS (MPE iX 4?).

Among the new services we see from a NSCONTROL STATUS are VTR and VTRL, the Reverse Terminal Incoming and Outgoing. I'm fairly certain from discussions with Gene Bradley at the HP Response Center, that VTR and VTRL are two main services (found only in NS/3000) which provide the connection to the FOS products.

It appears that without VTR and VTRL, any user would have the same sort of problems encountered in our journey. That may not be the entire picture, since it is not clear what all services may be called within NS.

Anyway, you can do your own experimentation if you have NS, by turning off the different referenced services and measuring the results.

And yes, this is mind boggling.

[log in to unmask] writes:
> It turns out that some of the functions within MPE iX depend upon
> the purchasable Network Services (NS/3000) Subsystem Product.
>
> At least three areas are directly affected:
>
> 1) Syslist processing in multi-threading;
> 2) JAVA programs executing on the HP e3000;
> 3) Native Mode Terminal I/O.

My mind boggles at this, since I can't imagine *what* in the full NS product
would affect any of these things relative to the "mini-NS" that comes free
with FOS these days.  Can you (or Susan) provide some more details?

Thanks,

G.