HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:25:28 -0700
DBECKER writes:
> There are several methods of doing this, including a COBOL method
> on the HP 3000 and using even a Java based client.

I'll throw in PYTHON as another nice, simple language that has a huge amount
of built-in networking functionality.  Perl would probably work too.

> I've experimented with various sockets methods and the one with
> using a combination of C and COBOL works well:
> It is necessary to fork (or pthread) a process to be able to
> carry on multiple conversations simultaneously from C and finish up
> the hard dirty work in COBOL (if that is a language of choice for you).

The "traditional 3000" way of doing this (in the pre-Posix world) which
still works today is to use CREATEPROCESS to start a son process to handle
each connection, using the IPCGIVE and IPCGET NetIPC functions to pass the
socket connection from the father process to the son process.

When writing network server programs for the 3000, you can either use the
"Unix" style (Berkeley sockets TLI, fork(), and select() probably using C as
the programming language) or the "MPE" style (NetIPC TLI, CREATEPROCESS, and
Nowait I/O, using most any language).

Both have pretty much the same capabilities.

The choice of which Transport Layer Interface you use on the 3000 (BSD
sockets or NetIPC) won't affect what the client programs see.  They are both
interfaces to the TCP protocol.

G.