HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 4

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 27 Jun 2000 09:31:07 -0700566_US-ASCII Suppose you are a third party software vendor realizing that you cannot effectively use
multi-threaded sockets using CREATEPROCESS because the task blocks for the socket are not
copied into the CREATEd environment.

You can use fork or you may consider using pthread.

Pthread has several advantages over fork. For one thing it is clear where you are in the
code at any given time--and you are running with a separate processor stack, meaning that
two or more sets of instructions in your program may be "concurrent". [...]45_27Jun200009:31:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:15:25 -0400
Related, but somewhat off-topic, I just finished reading a book by Simon
Singh called "The Code Book".  It is a nice history of cryptography and
cryptoanalysis.  It was a quick read that covers everything from Greek &
Roman Ciphers to RSA and PGP.  I enjoyed it and if you are slightly
interested in the subject, I think you will too.

Mark Wonsil
4M Enterprises, Inc.