HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:41:15 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
What would this mean for the true 24*365 shop? Would Ops or Admins need to
check the online backups, and if their Image databases were not backed up,
just try again? I for one would not want to have to explain to someone why I
cannot restore some data for them, because my last backup did not backup
their data.

I understand that shops that need high availability should be looking at
mirroring and / or RAID (which don't help if files or data get corrupted),
among other things. Image shadowing and so on then merit examination. I also
understand there have always been files that do not get backed up, and on
our 3000s, we do our best to deliberately exclude those from the backup via
an indirect file, so that the list of files that did not get backed up is as
short as possible. When we wanted to run our backup from our scheduler
(Nobix JobPak) and have our scheduling folks online so that they could
monitor those backups, we had to adjust both our files to exclude list and
our disaster recovery plan to include the scheduler files that this would
affect. But Image files? Yikes!

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com