HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:36:09 -0700
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to make a boot floppy from the Win95 or Win98 CD
included with the Microsoft Developer Network subscription? The developer
versions of these CDs aren't bootable because they contain several
versions of each OS. All the information I  have says that I should "boot
into DOS", but I don't have any DOS diskettes with CD-ROM drivers on
them.

The CDs include a BOOT directory containing all the files that would be
necessary to create a boot diskette (I presume), including MSDOS.SYS and
IO.SYS. However, I can't just copy the files to a floppy because the boot
sector needs to be updated with the addresses of the system files.

I vaguely remember some kind of option in FORMAT that will take care of
doing this, but I can't find it, and I can't find anything on Microsoft's
web site (not that I'd expect to find this kind of needle in that
enormous haystack). Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.