HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:21:35 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

ORBS (and a couple other blacklist services on the Internet) regularly probe
(i.e. every few weeks) mail systems to verify that they will not relay
unauthenticated/unauthorized messages from third parties.

If you have a reasonably current version of NetMail this probe shouldn't
be any problem. I get an urgent email in my admin mailbox every time they
try - telling me who tried and what they tried to do. NetMail (properly
configured) passes all of ORBS's (and all others) spam-relay tests... and
I've never seen it hang up (do you have a really old version???) [Even the
freeware version is updated regularly and available for download from our
website]

     -Chris Bartram

> Yesterday my HP3000 was attacked by our friends in shining armor, saviors
> of the world from spam, ORBS.  I have been running the 2 User, Freeware
> version of Netmail/3000, and, until this attack have had no trouble and
> minimal maintenance.  The reason I run Netmail is to keep in touch with
> the idea that the HP3000 is a network capable system and with the idea
> that there is an alternative to sendmail.
>
> What I found late yesterday afternoon, and again this morning, are 2
> processes SMTPSERV.SYS.THREEK and SMTPOUT.SYS.THREEK monopolizing the CS
> queue, one at 200 and the other at 152.  I had never seen this before the
> attack.
>
> #1  I am sure there are reasonable fixes for whatever the problem is with
>     Netmail and the SMTP processes.  I am also sure that there are ways to
>     satisfy the attacks from ORBS.  However, right now, because of other
>     high priority work, I'm just going  to shutoff Netmail.
>
> #2  Which is the issue that burns me, is ORBS.  Where does this group of
>     cavalier, if not downright arrogant, SO...s (That is Saviors of the
>     World) get it's right to attack my system on a regular basis?
>
> Bruce.
>   Bruce J. Senn                               Phone:  (518) 388-6664
>   Senior System Manager                       FAX:    (518) 388-6458
>   Union College                     Internet:  [log in to unmask]
>   Schenectady, NY 12308           WWW:  http://www1.union.edu/~sennb

  Chris Bartram        Sales (US):   800 Net-Mail    Fax:+1 503 361-8895
   ______                         +1 503 361-8850    mailto:sales at 3k.com
  /__ |  \__________   Sales (Europe):+44(1480)414131 Fax:+44(1480)414134
 /  / | / ________     Sales (Pacific):+61 3 9488 4333 Fax:+61 3 9482 5124
 \ __)| \ ___          mailto:support at 3k.com       Me: rcb at 3k.com