HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 17:32:35 -0500
Bruce after Stan writes:
Let me de-recommend the Microsoft "IntelliEye" mouse, with or without the extra
buttons. It has problems tracking at high speeds; it appears to "get lost" and
quit sending when it's moved rapidly across a surface. I originally thought
that the problem was with the Macintosh mouse drivers for it, but I've since
found that it has exactly the same problem on WinNT and Win98. If you're a slow
mouser, you may not notice it, but if you're used to making very rapid mouse
movements you're likely to find the IntelliEye behavior pretty irritating.

To which I must add my two cents.  Let me heartily recommend the IntelliEye
mouse.  It is excellent, I have been using one for several months now (since
October 99) and I must say it is the best mouse I have ever used.  However,
there is a caveat.

When I first got the mouse, I used it on my prior laptop which did not have a
USB port and was running Windows NT (which doesn't support USB either.)  I used
the little USB to PS/2 converter that came with the mouse and it was less than
satisfactory.  I would have to power up the machine, without the mouse
attached.  I could only plug it in after the system was running.  The tracking
sometimes went crazy and playing Age of Empires, where you will move the mouse
quickly and a lot, was not as enjoyable.  So for a while I went back to my old
wheel mouse.

When I got the new laptop, it had USB capability.  I loaded Windows 2000 on it,
downloaded the new mouse drivers from M$ and happily discarded the little
converter.  I use the mouse directly in the USB port, either in the docking
station, the portable hub or directly in the laptop.  It works perfectly.  It
is very accurate, has some nice useful buttons for a web surfer like me and the
wheel is much better than the one on the other M$ wheel mouse.  This mouse is a
pleasure to use and requires no mouse pad or cleaning.

Again, my experience has been:  do not use it in the PS/2 port.  Do not use it
on NT (I down have 98 or a Mac so I don't know about those.)  Get the latest
drivers from the M$ web site  (I have Intellipoint version 3.10.0393.)

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com