HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:32:43 -0700
Stan Sieler writes:

>BTW, I recommend the Microsoft "IntelliEye" mouse (the model without the
>extra
>buttons, just two buttons and a thumb wheel), because it has no mouse ball!
>It uses an HP red LED and (I think) an HP chip to process the light beam...
>you can use it on just about any surface (even clothing or skin).

Let me de-recommend the Microsoft "IntelliEye" mouse, with or without the
extra buttons. It has problems tracking at high speeds; it appears to
"get lost" and quit sending when it's moved rapidly across a surface. I
originally thought that the problem was with the Macintosh mouse drivers
for it, but I've since found that it has exactly the same problem on
WinNT and Win98. If you're a slow mouser, you may not notice it, but if
you're used to making very rapid mouse movements you're likely to find
the IntelliEye behavior pretty irritating.

The best mouse I've used is unfortunately not made any longer: the A+
Optical Mouse. It's also optical, but uses a special metal mouse pad
etched with grid lines. It glides on felt pads, making it just as smooth
as the Microsoft mouse, but without the tracking problems -- and without
the distracting bright red flash when it's bumped accidentally.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.