HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:54:33 -0700
Re:
> > Now, about cheap PCs and consumer PCs.  I think my friend Wirt is way too
> > hour, if not more.  So messing with a $500 eMachine and bringing it up to
> > speed, a task that probably consumed 4-10 hours, makes the inexpensive

> Unfortunately, what Denys writes isn't quite true. So far I haven't been able
> to find anyone to pay me $200/hour for my work. I do tend to charge my

Another factor is that often *any* PC requires work ... see Wirt's postings
about HP Pavillions for proof.  I.e., buying a cheap PC may not mean
more work than buying an expensive machine.  I've spent more time fixing
Windows NT problems on my Compaq Deskpro then I've spent fixing Win98 on
my eMachine.

To each their own...Win2000 to Denys, Win98 to me :)

BTW, I recommend the Microsoft "IntelliEye" mouse (the model without the extra
buttons, just two buttons and a thumb wheel), because it has no mouse ball!
It uses an HP red LED and (I think) an HP chip to process the light beam...
you can use it on just about any surface (even clothing or skin).
I got tired of mouse balls getting dirty!

I looked at the mouse: it's labelled "IntelliMouse w/IntelliEye 1.0 USB and
PS/2 Compatible".

Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html          www.allegro.com/sieler