HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 3

From:
Barry Durand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Durand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:15:49 -0700
I have done a small number of 6.0 upgrades and
have seen various things go wrong and some of them
may have looked like the upgrade failed but it really
did not. Yes, there were kinks to work out but nothing
too major.

I don't remember if I have upgraded a 939 or not, so I can't
answer this specific question but I do suggest if possible
that you get the *exact* details as to why it the upgrade
"failed".  Unfortunately, I am willing to bet that the customer
does not remember why it failed.  My suggestions
(which I am sure you would have done anyway) is make sure
that you have backups (2 full + 2 slt's all verified if
possible), validate the upgrade tapes (which you obviously
know to do based on your email) and just follow the
upgrade instructions.  I know many of the problems I had
during upgrades were due to me not following instructions.

Finally, AFAIK, HBIP and 100mb NIC are supported on 6.0 and
don't cause any problems.

Good Luck,

Barry Durand

On 20 Jun 00, at 8:52, Curt Brimacomb wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am upgrading a clients Series 939 in about 2 months from MPE/iX 5.5 pp4 to
> 6.0 pp2.  I have done 6.0 upgrades to a number of systems in the past year
> with no problems.  This client however tells me that last fall when someone
> else tried to do the 6.0 upgrade, it failed, and they had to put the old OS
> back on.
>
> My first thoughts are that the DDS drive had firmware problems, but
> according to the upgrade manual, if you have 5.5 installed, you have the
> right firmware.  My next guess is that the tapes were never validated and
> created a problem.  But who would do an upgrade without validating the
> tapes?  If a HPIB card is installed will that create a problem (are they
> still supported on 6.0)?  100mb NIC?
>

> Is there anyone that knows of another problem that a 939 might have during a
> 6.0 upgrade?
>
> TIA
>
> Curt Brimacomb
> www.idahocomputer.net
> Systems Manager
> www.datanow.net
> Idaho Computer Services, LLC
> PO Box
> Twin Falls, ID 83301
> 208-734-2245
>
> "Only dead fish swim WITH the current ALL the time."

Barry Durand           [log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants    408.252.2330
Opinions are mine, not my employer's