HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:46:31 -0700
Mike's away at Java 1 this week, so I'll comment:

>shell/iX> tar -xovpf jdk12.web60
>tar: blocksize = 20
>x /JAVA/INSTALL/JDK12.60.tar.Z, 22486625 bytes, 43920 tape blocks
>x /JAVA/INSTALL/README, 1865 bytes, 4 tape blocks
>x /JAVA/INSTALL/JINSTJDK, 340 bytes, 1 tape block
>tar: write error on file "/JAVA/INSTALL/JINSTJDK": System call error

>The error was fixed by purging the JINSTJDK file and redoing the install:

This is a known bug with tar. There is a patch available to fix
this (but I'm not yet sure if it has been moved out of Beta and
into production - Mark?).

In the meantime, that message simply means that the file being
untarred is larger than the existing one on disk. This also happens
with the GNU installation. The simplest fix is either to deinstall
or remove the software before (re)installing it.

Regards,

M.