HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 1

From:
william l brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
william l brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:57:11 -0700
Hi Gavin - my partner and I had one of our many fights - indeed the "use
tax" was on our sales tax form (we have a resale permit) I said, well, this
being a rather genteel list - I won't repeat exactly what I said in
reference to the  bureaucrats ever more demanding - but I - and I'm sure -
most people would have ignored it. My partner insisted on paying it.

How could they ever find out? To me that was $500 down the rat hole. What
was even more incredulous - and I don't have this story completely right -
but the state of NY is trying to tax people of NJ some kind of tax because
they are presumed to have gone there. I know I don't have the complete story
and await the inevitable corrections but the gist of it was complete
audacity on the govt of NY. Or NYC.

It will be interesting to see the affects of the Internet on our society - I
do not believe anyone can see the true implications yet. It does empower the
individual and I foresee a difficult time enforcing this tax scheme if it
passes (it just barely passed the assembly I heard; it awaits Senate and
governor signing? )
Bill

William L. Brandt
Sacramento, CA USA