HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 1

From:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:50:29 -0400
Bob,

In the training manuals I have written to teach new clients the e3000, the
issue of SM capability was always addressed like this:

MANAGER.SYS and MGR.TELESUP are the only two userids on the
system with SM capability.  These userids are both passworded and only
the system manager (and his/her backup) know the passwords, and are
given access to logon as these userids (in Security 3000).

All the functions you list are ones that can be accomplished in some other
way that does not required SM capability for the initiating user, with the
exception of managing accounts and system level UDCs which are the
responsibility of the system manager.

The account structure should, in most cases, be a reasonably stable
structure.  If you are regularly creating and destroying the groups in
your account structure, or worse, accounts in your account structure,
find out why and stop it.  The account structure forms the basis of
security on the e3000 and should not be changed haphazardly.  And,
since accounts are part of volume sets which logically group the
system disk drives whose space we have to monitor and make
available for the official functions required by the powers that be...
enough said.

If your UDCs are changing that frequently, find out what changes are
being made, and evalutate what needs to be in your system level UDCs.
Most UDCs can be replaced with command files in a public group
whose location is in the HPPATH set as part of system login; and the
most volatile portion of the system UDCs, the option LOGON setup
logic, can be segregated placing the SETVAR, SETJCW and FILE
logic in a file which is then XEQ-ed from within the system level UDC.
That process allows maintenance without touching the system level
UDCs.

You've touched a nerve here; but, the short answer is NO ONE GETS
SM CAPABILITY EXCEPT THE SYSTEM MANAGER.  Tell
your programmer to plan his/her work better and NO, he/she cannot
have access to the entire system unless he or she wants to be awakened
at 2:00a the night the system locks because someone screwed with
something they shouldn't have been able to touch anyway.  (Not that
this has EVER happened to me.)

Rs~

Russ Smith, Systems Consultant
Problem Solved, Vacaville, CA