HP3000-L Archives

June 2000, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:52:28 -0700
Bruce's curiosity gets the better of him:
> Jim Phillips writes:
>
> >I was trying to get Bouncer running to get rid of inactive
> >sessions and had a system abort[...]
>
> This did get rid of the inactive sessions, didn't it?

I had a Series 70 once that suffered a SYSTEM FAILURE, went into a HALT
state (red light and everything), and user sessions kept on running.

This lead to some interesting conversations along the lines of "Uh, the
machine just crashed.  Do you think we should log off, or what?"

One of the fans under the CPU blew its cap and started running slowly
*backwards*, which created a zone of stagnated airflow among the CPU boards
(but below the temperature sensors which were located (logically) at the top
of the card cage), resulting in a rather, er, warm operating environment.
Fortunately HP wasn't yet using surface mounted components, so none of the
chips actually fell off the boards.

It was *not* a happy computer though.  Nor was the CE who tried to pull the
ALU boards out with his bare hands.

G.