SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:39:21 +0800
>Dave DeBarger unzipped with:

Now not personally having dived on any of Peter Hughes fleet yet (Im
tossing up whether to take a trip on his setup outa Papua New Guinea next
May after our Madang SPUMS conference) ... I'll skip to the questions I can
answer.

>Any one actually done five dives per day for more than one day?

Yep, most of the liveaboards Ive been on allow that so I do every dive that
is on the go. In fact I dived 7 times a day off one liveaboard as the dive
spots were so shallow. The sad thing was then I was night diving solo as
the rest of the gang were only interested in weight lifting their drinks.
Their loss though as it is the best time to see the mantis shrimp, who is
usually out of its burrow hunting.

My first trip to Truk on the Thorfinn in 1991 I was doing 5 dives a day,
bar one. As it was to be 12 days worth of diving I broke the routine by
only doing a couple of dives on the 7th day to off-gas a little more as I
had dives at Palau tagged on to the end of this trip.

>They offer nitrox (EAN 32 only) but require that nitrox divers use
>only air profiles -- did you do that?

At the medical conference I attended in Fiji the invited speaker from the
UK, who is one of the top advisors for commercial diving worldwide, was
really pushing his recommendation that all recreational nitrox diving
should be done using air tables - a better safety margin.

>What kind of clothes did you actually use?

Lots of swimwear with shorts & t-shirts if required during the day.
Sometimes I wear a sulu (wraparound) over my swimwear instead, especially
if Im sunbaking between dives as its softer against the skin. Maybe a
tracksuit or jeans for the evening if you wanted to hangout outside
star-trailing or photographing the moon while folk are blissfully snoring
their heads off.

>What did you pack, but never use?

Nightie ;-)  Underwear were only worn to the boat on arrival & at departure
time.

>All information will be appreciated.

Dont think my response will be appreciated but with all the Scuba-L crap
that went down while I was overseas Im feeling a little NEDish today ;-)

         ***All stressed out and no one to choke***
    Viv &     Only when the last tree has died     o  ___
    Fluffy    and the last river been poisoned     o /@  \/
   (=*_*=)     and the last fish been caught        >  )::
             will we realise we cannot eat money.    \___/\
Chief Seattle, Chief of the Swamish Native Americans