SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:19:43 -0400
On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:03:11 -0400, Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>the Scuba-SE and Scuba-L archives.  I find myself interested in the
>current counts in each list

Whenever COUNTS are considered, it is important to UNDERSTAND what
those numbers mean!

Those counts in the REVIEW "Scuba-L" and REVIEW "Scuba-SE" are
virtuely useless and extremely MISLEADING numbers, as was in the
case Quinn Harry implied that he was speaking on behalf of 738
(or whatever number he dug up from "Review Scuba-L).

That "700+" number is completely WORTHLESS to even count how many
are LURKING there, but never contributed!   I posted an explanation
for that, but I am sure you won't know how to find it from the
archives so I'll repeat the ESSENCE.  ;-)

1. MOST CONTRIBUTING subscribers have MULTIPLE addresses and double
   or triple count.

2. There are many DEAD address in the Scuba-L "Review" count -- these
   are known as "cyber debris".  The email addresses had been defunct
   for YEARS.  They are still there because LISTSERV can't tell which
   is dead or alive.

3. Finally, for those accounts that ARE alive and receiving mail,
   you can't tell how many actually READ any of it.  Some (I know of
   cases <G>) left it in NOMAIL mode, and forgot about it.  Hence
   they are essentially NON-subscribers!

4. There are many other cases that need special consideration.

In short, the only MEANINGFUL tally, if you want to do the stat,
is to list the subscribers who have POSTED in THIS MONTH, say,
by NAME, and the number of posts each did in each LIST.

THEN, you'll begin to get a feel of the ENORMITY of the imbalance
of "reputable sources" who are posting on EACH list.

IMNSHO, anyone NOT familiar with the Scuba-L/Scuba-SE fiasco, but
knowledgeable in other scuba forums, say, would ROTFL and take
it as a big JOKE, if you ask them choose which of the TWO LISTS they
would rather read or participate in.

>and in seeing who's posting what in Scuba-L.

AND Scuba-SE and their posting frequencies.  THAT takes time and
careful tally, but those would be the ONLY MEANINGFUL way to
understand the impact of the MASS EXODUS in protest of Nick's
"Tuesday massacre".

For
>obvious reasons, I don't want to resubscribe to Scuba-L in order to
>satisfy my curiosity.

You can get a good FEEL of these names and numbers just taking a
look at the WEB archives of BOTH -- which you so diligently RESIST.
Those THREADS will improve the quality of YOUR discussions (as
impeccable as they are ;-./) at least 1000%, just to know who said
what to whom and when, when you ARGUE.  ;-)

>If someone can share the archive addresses tonight, I'd appreciate it.
>By tomorrow, I'll be home and won't need to be helped to find them.

Just use THESE (for the REASONS cited):  I've used them EXCLUSIVELY
this month, even for POSTING in Scuba-SE:

http://raven.utc.edu/Archives/scuba-se.html

and

http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/scuba-l.html

>Lee