SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:09:28 -0400
David Strike wrote:

Funny thing is that I didn't intend to send this to the list, but got lazy
and responded to a message I saved from John Nitrox which I now realize came
from the list.  Having read your posts, I'm glad I made the mistake.

> Lee!  Your post prompted me to speak to the Oz distributors for the Suunto
> range of products and get some recomended retail prices - not that the
> prices paid in Oz reflect the cost elsewhere in the world!  :-)
>
> The RRP for the 'Spyder' - in Oz dollars - depends on the 'flavour', ie,
the
> trim, the strap and whether it's steel or titanium.  prices range between
> AUD$1195 (US$730 approx.) and AUD$1495.

Interesting information.  In my travels around the web, I saw the Spyder
advertised for as little as $400 US, a considerable discount from list
price.  Of course there's no telling whether it can actually be purchased
for such an amount until one tries.

> The 'Vyper' - on the other hand - is a wrist unit with large, easy-to-read
> LCD screen; gauge, nitrox and air functions, good to 150msw, and with a
RRP
> of AUD$850
>
> The console-mounted 'Cobra' is an air-integrated version of the 'Vyper',
> with an RRP of AUD$1395.

Suunto clearly thinks highly of their products.  I'm presently using an
Oceanic Data Plus and a Genesis Source.  The computers are identical in size
and operation, differing only in the way they display information.  Both are
nitrox computers usable for a single gas from air to 50% oxygen.  Both
handle decompression well enough for the diving I do.  With the best
discount I could arrange, I paid about $225 US for the wrist mount version
and about $300 US for the console mounted version (including the console,
pressure guage and compass).

> I actually  looked at buying a 'Spyder' about two or so years ago but
> decided against it.  My reasoning was the size.  Although I liked all of
the
> many functions, it was bulkier than, say, my watch, and I found the
display
> less easy to read-at-a-glance than my Aladin Pro Nitrox.

As we age, display size becomes increasingly important.  I'm considering
this as a replacement for my Citizen Hyper Aqualand which I wear as a watch
on dive trips, but do not wear as a watch otherwise both because of it's
larger size and because I would be heart broken if I were to damage it.
While it's cheaper than the watches I normally wear, it's a toy which I
greatly enjoy.  My watches are tools which I need, but don't particularly
enjoy.

> Quite apart from cost, I think that I'd be more inclined to go with the
> 'Vyper'.  It seems to me to be more of a workman-like tool - and I
wouldn't
> have to worry about trying to tuck it beneathe the sleeve of a dress
shirt!
> :-)

My interest stems from a couple of issues.  I presently carry a console
mounted computer on all dives and a second wrist mounted computer on any
dive that I'm unlikely to be reaching into small spaces (lobster hunting
primarily).  This is both because a backup is of some value to me and
because a wrist mounted computer is a better tool for diving close to or
beyond my ND limit.  When close monitoring of the computer is important,
having it on the wrist is more convenient.  As a full feature computer,
assuming that it is, the Suunto Stinger would replace both my Citizen and my
wrist mounted computer, letting the console mounted computer serve as a
backup on every dive.  Of course, there's hidden costs in this.  I insist on
using computers that agree with each other through a series of dives, as my
present computers do.  If I use a different wrist mounted computer, I'm
going to have to obtain a compatable console mounted unit as well, driving
the cost up considerably.  A second cost is the download device.  My Citizen
came with one, the Suunto, as I recall, is purchased separately.  Of course,
since these are essentially toys anyway, cost can sometimes be overlooked,
but there's a limit.  As for display size, I'm surprised to find that I read
my Citizen watch easier than my wrist mounted computer.  It's not the size
of the display as much as it is my ability to get it further away from my
face and still have it at an angle that allows it to be read.  This is
easier to do with a watch than a higher profile computer.

For now, switching to a Suunto is only a thought.  Issues like readability,
display and functions and cost will all have to be considered for a while
before I consider asking Jayna to put a Stinger on my Christmas list.

Lee