SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 10:41:54 -0400
> > Anyone else think $2995 is too much for this list??
>
> Very,very much too much! Thew prices below are Thailand prices, for imported
> gear (typically Mares, Tusa and ScubaPro). Import duty in Thailand ranges
> from 5 to 20% on the items listed. So if I can get those prices in Thailand
> (without flashing my instructor card), then God alone knows how cheap it
> would be in the US.
>
> As for dive shops in Dallas, I have only been to Oceans Window (Plano, I
> believe), and I was VERY impressed with the standard of the shop, as well as
> the service I was given by the retail staff.
>
> Mask $40
> Snorkel $15
> Fins $ 110
> Booties $ 25
> Suit (long 3 mm) $210
> Regulator $ 400 (with octopus and SPG)
> Computer $ 400
> BCD $310
> Bags $130
> Mesh bag $ 20
> Plastic mask box $0 (comes with mask)
>
> Total $1660 (BEFORE bargaining. When buying the full set above, I could
> expect at least 15% discount as a walk-in customer).

Remember everyone - this is a *RENT TO OWN* deal.  Typically rent to
own deals cost about *TWICE* as much as simply buying your equipment
outright.  This is how stores make money - many of the "rent to
own" people walk away from the deal and they have use of that
cash for free.  Some contracts even have penalties for withdrawing
the "principle" that you have accumulated toward the purchase.

Note that "rent to own" deals are just as bad when applied to
furniture, appliances, or anything else in the world and have
similar markups.  People who get into deals like this are
typically people that don't have the credit to allow themselves
to just buy it outright.  Even on a credit card paying 20% interest
it's STILL cheaper than doing one of these rent to own deals.

Carl