SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
"Quinn H." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 12:13:56 -0400
Kent Lind wrote:

>First stages:  four MK20s and one MK2+
>Second stages: 2 G250s, 1 D400, 1 G500, and 1 R190
<snip> ...
>I've used them all in every conceivable combination and condition and they
all
>work fine down past any conceivable depth you will want to go.

Kent,

I've been leaning toward Scubapro MK20 as I slowly begin to reconfigure to
DIR.  Between what you and Bob wrote [see Bob, I do read your posts :-)], I
am now convinced I should go with these regs. You both have provided valuble
and mistake saving advice. Which would you recommend, the G250 or the new
G500?  Thanks.

>Therefore, a much better choice for a Scubapro backup regulator is one of
the
>non air-balanced scubapro 2nds such as the R190 or the new 380.  They are
>cheaper anyway and are less finely balanced so that you are much less
likely to
>get a freeflow.  I currently use a G250 for my primary regulator and my
R190 for
>the backup regulator that hangs around my neck.  I frequently test the R190
at
>various times during dives and I really can't discern much difference in
>performance from the G250 at any depth down to 200+ ft.

Since I will be purchasing the backup as well, what would you recommend -
the R190 or the 380?  Should I get two MK20's or one MK20 and the older MK2?

Lastly, I could use some advice on my current regulator, for those who have
experience the brand.  Should I hang on to my Sherwood Maximus for some
future bottle or spare, or should I sell it to my dive shop to be used as
rental equip.?

Thnkas,

Quinn