SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:02:49 -0400
On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:29:28 +1000, David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On  Friday, June 23, 2000 2:48 AM, Reef Fish wrote:
>
>(snip)
>
>> The so-called Scuba-L Guidelines needs a COMPLETE FACELIFT and
>> Re-WRITING, in view of the discovery of the Scuba-L WEBPAGE
>> archives which contained MUCH better ways of archive retrieval,
>> listserv capabilities, and info about SIGN-ON and SIGN-OFFs.
>
>> I URGE one of the readers here (who is still a subscriber to Scuba-L)
>> do a RE-WRITE of the FAQ (I'll be glad to help) -- Strike comes to
>> mind, if he is still a subscriber there  -- and post it PERIODICALLY
>> as STRIKE pleases.
>
>What an intriguing thought!  (But it'd never work.  I figure that it'd take
>about two postings of my version for me to go, in the eyes of the control
>freaks,  from 'Mother Tiger' to 'Mutha Clucker' status - actually, I'm
>almost certain that I already have!) :-)

With due respect to you Strike (which I have always held), I believe you
are mistaken here.  :-)  As long as the FAQ is consistent with the
ACTUAL PRACTICE in Scuba-L since it was founded and GUIDELINE (as the
current one -- and note the ABSENCE of all the "strike" nonsense
and unspecified "acceptable speech" Nick made up on the fly, and has
been busy back-peddling and sweeping his own dirt under the rug --
NO control freak of ANY Open Forum LIST can be barred from posting
a FAQ (his version) for the GOOD of the LIST.

>(snip)
>
>>Actually, I have a LONG LIST of
>> nominees -- Jeff Kell, Krazy Kiwi, Bjorn, ...  :-)))  If you want
>> really obscure, literary language, then I would nominate the Northern
>> Gentleman John Nitrox, whose real name is NOT John Nitrox.  :-)
>
>"And this month's guest FAQ poster is ..."  :-)

Now THAT is an excellent idea!  It may even make that FAQ something
subscribers will ACTUALLY READ and learn something!  :-)

On a more serious note, FAQ means "Frequently Asked QUESTIONS" --
everyone is entitled to give his/her ANSWER(S) to those questions,
so long as his/her answers do not violate LISTSERV and Scuba-L
charter rules and regulations!

Nick knows the issue.  When HE started posting his rec.scuba FAQ,
expounding his opinion as if it were 'rules and regulations', he
was promptly reminded by a host of knowledgable readers that ANYONE
can post a FAQ.

>Strike

-- Bob.