SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Michael Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:56:52 -0400
On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:32:12 +1000
David Strike <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Kat!  At a personal level, I put 'price' way down on my list of priorities.
> As far as I'm concerned, I prefer to buy life-suppport equipment from a
> person - and place - that I trust.  No matter the brand name, you're still
> reliant on back-up service if things go awry.  Buy, for example, a Scubapro
> reg in Thailand and then, while in OZ or elsewhere, expect a local dive
> store to service it because of imperfections and you're in for a shock!

Is this unique to OZ?
I have had no trouble getting my equipment serviced at different shops
at home or abroad...... I have my warranty cards in my save-a-dive kit
which travels with me at all times.

> Your equipment may well go "tits-up"  in other places of the world.  But if
> you know - and are comfortable with - the people that you've purchased it
> from, then get it serviced locally and again looked at when you return from
> your travels by the store that sold it to you.  If necessary they'll even

Some of us live in areas quite different to Florida etc: [we do not
have those high numbers of divers] and so over the last several years
have seen many shops go belly-up and new ones spring up equally quickly.
IMO it is more important to purchase top level manufacturers product
rather than focus on one local dive store.... owning one of the top
brands should allow you to get service anywhere in the world; except
maybe OZ if we listen to Strike. ;-)

Michael
--
Divers know the true meaning of peace of mind.