SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2000

From:
Huw Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:51:24 -0400
K. Blessin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Oh yes, and I was going to buy fins, booties, a mask and a snorkel, perhaps
>a shorty wetsuit.  I'm going to have to lug it on my  back the whole time
>though, so the less I take, almost the better.

Hey, Kat, so you aren't going to take the twin 15-litre steels, crushed
neoprene drysuit, 30 pound weightbelt and Buddy Inspiration rebreather,
then? :-)

<*public note*:  These suggestions are from a backpacker perspective, and
may not be apropriate for other forms of travel!>

I'm *sure* I can't teach the mistress of diciplined packing (LOL misquotes!
:-) anything, but I really wouldn't bother with the shortie (unless you have
a pathological fear of other peoples wee? :-?)  Even shorties are quite
bulky and heavy <note: relatively for backpackers>, dry slowly, and you'll
be easily able to hire one anywhere you need for little dosh.  And you'll
only be able to use it in tropical water (I know you're not a WWW, I've
*seen* you dive in the English Channel!)  My luvverly Mares shortie is
gathering dust at home - and I wouldn't have used it yet even if I had it
with me.

I would even think hard about the fins - I only brought my f*rce fins 'cos
they are so small and light, and fit neatly inside my rucksack.  And as they
curve round the outside of my stuff, they have the additional benefit that
if anyone tries to razor open my pack <note: yes, this does happen>, they've
got to get through a layer of polypropelene first!

Mask and snorkel, OTOH, I'd definitely take - partic. if you are going to be
getting prescription lenses (are you?).  I'm sure you may save a little
buying outside the UK, but for a fourty quid mask and twenty quid snorkel, I
wouldn't put off buying if you find gear you are happy with.  Ocean Leisure
under Charing Cross Bridge (next to Embankment Tube) and Mikes Waterfront
Wharehouse in Chiswick both have reasonable selections and only moderate
unrestrained hunger for your money.

Other suggestions:  My dive compass doubles as a dry-land compass, and my
trusty computer, though it is an <note: relatively for backpackers>
expensive item, and therefore a target for thieves, I wouldn't have left
behind for the world.  I'm glad I didn't bring my dive knife, due to the
number of dodgy borders I've had my bags searched at!

Hope this is food for thought. :-)

Cheers,
Huw